The church of Faneromeni was built in the 15th century. Unfortunately it was destroyed by the earthquakes of 1953 but it has been restored following its original design. The only part of the church that was not destroyed is the old belfry. The murals (hagiographies) were saved and now they are preserved in the Museum of Byzantine Art. The history of Faneromenis Temple was the subject of several studies by both Greek and Foreign researchers of classic Arts, since it was considered one of the most beautiful temples of Greece. During the years of Venetian domination, the Faneromenis square, on contrary with the square of Saint Mark was the meeting place of the poorer people. The Faneromenis church, was destroyed completely by the earthquakes 1953 and the fires that followed but has been reconstructed and today it is precisely as it was then.